Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Pumpkin Puppy Chow

Pumpkin season is back and this year I'm pregnant so the pumpkin desserts are gonna get crazy and I am going to try all of them!  The first new pumpkin treat that I have tried this year is Pumpkin Puppy Chow.

For some reason I have really been wanting to make this.  I love pumpkin of course and Puppy Chow is always a favorite treat at the holidays.  I looked around to find the perfect recipe and even though I have found many great recipes I didn't find that perfect one that I was looking for...and so, came my collaboration of many recipes to come up with one that was simple to make (since this was a last minute decision to make today and I didn't want to have to go to Wal-Mart for the third time this weekend!), but still fantastic.

It turned out really well and I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to make, even with Miss Priss standing between my legs at the stove the entire time!
Pumpkin Puppy Chow
 
Servings: 12  Calories: 300  Fat: 8g 
You will need:
  • 8 cups Rice Chex
  • 2 cups (1 bag) white chocolate chips
  • 2 cups powdered sugar
  • 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
Optional:
  • Reece's Pieces (I used this in mine!)
  • Your other favorite Candy
Pour your Rice Chex into a large mixing bowl and set aside.
Slowly melt the chocolate chips on the stove on a low setting and stir frequently until melted.  It might look like they are not melting, but believe me they are and you do not want to burn them!  It doesn't take very long and so it is best just to stand there close to the stove so that you can stir them often.
 
Once the chips are melted, sprinkle in the pumpkin pie spice and mix well with the chocolate.
 
While the chips are still melted and warm pour the mixture over the Rice Chex and mix thoroughly to make sure that all of the Chex are coated.
 
Pour about half of the Chex mix into a gallon size ziploc bag or a large container with a lid.  Add 1 cup of the powdered sugar and shake for a minute.  Then add about half of your candy pieces (if you are adding these) and shake until the Chex are fully coated with powdered sugar and you have no clumps.
 
This is where it might be best to use a ziploc bag because you can use your fingers to break up any clumps without having to open the container. 
 
Do the same with the remaining Chex, 1 cup powdered sugar and candy if needed and shake, shake, shake.  This makes a gallon size Ziploc bag of Chow.  I listed it as 12 servings, but this will vary depending on how much you want to eat.  I do not know that actual serving size rules since I am not a nutritionist (or I wouldn't be making this anyway)!
 
I got a little excited about this one and so I took a lot of pictures.  This was so simple and tastes so good...I am sure that I will be making this again before the season is over with and then starting on my plans for some Christmas Puppy Chow!
 
Click here for a printable version.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment