Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Shredded Chicken Tacos {Crockpot Recipe}

 I have been trying to find easy dinner recipes that can be baked in the oven as casseroles or in the crockpot.  I love that you can put something in the crockpot and let it cook all day while you are at work and then you don't have much to do when you get home.  I am always ready to eat by the time I get home from work and daycare!

Oh, and I love Mexican food and so a crockpot recipe that is Mexican too can't be anything but wonderful in my book.  This is actually the second time that I have made this and both times it was amazingly good! 

Chicken in the crockpot is so tender...I absolutely love chicken cooked in the crockpot and the way that it is shredded.  I am a little bit, ok A LOT, particular when it comes to the texture of my food and I just love the texture of shredded chicken!

This is great served in a tortilla or on top of a bowl of rice!  I tried to make some lime cilantro rice like Qdoba at home and well, let's just say it didn't make the blog.  FAIL!  But if you can make a good rice or just want to use plain ol' white rice (the chicken will give it some flavor) then go for it.  For now I will stick to a tortilla... 
Crockpot
Shredded Chicken Tacos
You will need:
  • 3 or 4 chicken breasts
  • 1 package taco seasoning
  • 1 can Rotel
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 6-8 flour tortillas
Optional Toppings:
  • shredded cheese
  • sour cream
  • avocado
First of all, I ALWAYS ALWAYS use a slow cooker liner when cooking in the crockpot.  If you don't use one now you will see what I mean after the first time...you will never want to cook without one again!
Next, sprinkle the taco seasoning in the bottom of the crockpot and place the chicken breasts on top.  I like to thaw my chicken the night before so that I can cut ALL of the fat off before cooking it!  Lastly, pour in the Rotel, oil and water and turn on the low setting.  You don't even have to mix it!
This will cook on low for 6-8 hours, but honestly by the time I leave the house and go to daycare on the way to and from work it is more like 10 hours before I get home!  That just makes it even more tender.
 
Before serving, take a fork and shred the chicken while still in the crockpot and mix together with the juices.  Go ahead and get the rest of your toppings ready while it cooks a little longer and when your toppingsare ready to go your chicken will be ready to serve!
This recipe yields 6-8 servings at about 4 WW Pts+ depending on the amount of chicken that you cook.  The Pts+ value can be greatly reduced by removing the olive oil, but for now I have left it in.

Enjoy your chicken tacos or rice bowl!

Click here for a printable version.

1 comment: