Anyhow, I decided to try to make chicken tortilla soup since I have been looking for foods that are low in Points Plus and also trying to use my crockpot more to make easy dinners. It was amazing! My husband and I both loved it and he has asked me to make it several more times and that was just a few weeks ago!
I am involved with Weight Watchers at work and every Wednesday, which is our meeting day, a group of us gals all go in and bring healthy dishes for everyone to try. Someone brings a veggies, someone brings the main dish, someone brings a dessert and the others just chip in where needed. When I told them about the soup and how much I loved it, they immediately voted for me to bring it the following week. This is now the following week and each of them commented on how much they liked it!
This recipe can be modified very easily to fit anyone's taste and I the two times that I have made it, I have done it differently. Below is the one that I liked the best with some alternative food options for you to try!
Chicken Tortilla Soup
in the Crockpot
Servings: 8 WW Pts+: 4
You will need:
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into 1" cubes
- 2 cans 98% fat free chicken broth
- 2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans Rotel
- 1 pkg frozen corn
- 1 pkg taco seasoning*
- 1/2 onion, chopped (optional)
- 1-2 cups water (optional)
- tortilla chips or strips
- sour cream
- shredded cheese
- fresh cilantro
Put the broth and seasoning in the crockpot and stir together to make sure that it is mixed thoroughly. Add everything else and stir once more. Cook on low for 8 hours. Before you serve, get a fork and shred the chicken a bit and it is ready to eat!
I usually just turn it on before I leave for work and it is ready to eat when I get home. You could cook in on high to make it a little faster, but I am not sure about the timing since I have not don't this yet.
- I tried a can of kidney beans, but it wasn't my favorite and so I just used all black beans the second time and liked it better. I would like to try it with pinto beans at some point.
- I used onions the first time and not the second time and I actually liked it better without the additional kick from the onions, but then again, I am not an onion girl...unless they are breaded and fried. :)
- I also used a cup of water in the first batch, but like my soup a little thicker and so opted out of it the second time. It was about the same, but if you add water you might get a few more servings.
- You can substitute the second can of beans for any that you want. I have seen pinto, black, northern and kidney beans used, though I would still use at least one can of black beans.
- Frozen corn, canned corn...doesn't really matter. Use as much or as little as you like.
- And to the chicken, if you want a fast and last minute meal, canned chicken works great and it is already partially shredded. I use canned chicken in a lot of my recipes, but I just had time to use an entire chicken breast when I did this one and I do like it better if I have the time.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as my friends and I did! Enjoy!
Click here for a printable version.