Thursday, March 14, 2013

St. Patty's Day Hair Clips

St. Patty's day is almost here and I am ready to celebrate with my green on.  It isn't everyday that you can wear that much green and get away with it!  I saw a cutie headband with some felt shamrocks on it and I immediately wanted to make it for Miss Priss...and then I remembered that she won't wear headbands and will only wear hair clips and bows for a little bit before she rips them out destroying the hard work that I did trying to get those teeny tiny strands of hair up in the first place!

I pick my battles when it comes to fixing her hair and save those ponytails for special occasions until I can get her to keep them in longer.  This is a fun day and even if she only keeps them in long enough for a picture that will work for me. 

They are super easy to make and I already had all of the supplies and so I went ahead and made them, even though I may end up being the one wearing them before the night is over! Sigh...

St. Patty's Day Shamrock Hair Clips
You will need:
  • pieces of felt
  • needle  & matching thread
  • scissors
  • hot glue gun
  • alligator hair clips
Pick out your felt in the colors of green that you would like your shamrocks to be cut out of and pick thread that matches the felt colors that you picked out. 
Cut a 4" x 1" piece of felt for each color that you want to make.  Each piece will make one shamrock.  You can cut one slightly smaller if you want to vary the sizes so that they are not the same.  Cut each piece into 4 equal sections.  If you use the measurements I did then you will cut every 1" across the piece of felt.
On one size of the square round the edges as shown in the picture below.  They dont have to be perfect...you can round them and correct your cuts as much as you like once the shamrock is complete. 
Insert your needle as shown below into the first piece of felt. 
Using the same needle and thread do the same to the next three pieces of felt.
Pull the thread tight until your pieces of felt begin to form a circle in the middle (or start to look like a shamrock!)
Pull them together as tightly as you can so that you can not see through the middle of the shamrock.  and fasten off your thread on the back side by weaving it in a out of the felt and tying knots.  Dont cut your thread just yet though.
This is what they will look like once they are done.  You can now use that extra thread to attch a cute button in the center or a pearl or a small ribbon or anything else that you might have laying around.  After much debate, I chose to leave my like they are and so I just cut off the remaining thread.
I then hot glued them to my alligator hair clips and that was it!  (I will have to get a good picture, as I seem to have lot the ones I took of this part of the tutorial.) 

You can then attach them to a headband or just put them in your hair directly like I did with Miss Priss here.
This tutorial shows you how to make a headband, but since Miss Priss won't wear headbands, I wanted to create mine as hair clips.  The shamrock tutorial itself is the same (since that is where I got it!)

No comments:

Post a Comment