Saturday, March 30, 2013

Carrot Patch {Easter Treat}

It is time for Easter already and a simple Easter treat is always welcome at my house.  Here is one that I made for Miss Priss' class on Friday.  Like the other Easter treat that I made for her class, this one is easy to make, I already had most of the ingredients at home to make it and it is one of my favorites too!

I like too that I can have a good chocolaty treat and still feel okay about eating it when i use skim milk, light Cool Whip and reduced fat Oreos.  I know you are laughing, but seriously...it makes me feel better and that is all that matters right?
Carrot Patch Easter Treat
Servings: 10-12
You will need:
  • 2 cups Oreos (about 20)
  • small amount of orange icing or white icing and orange coloring
  • decorating bag with round tip
  • 8 oz Cool Whip
  • 2 boxes chocolate pudding mix
  • 2 cups milk
  • individual containers or plastic cups
  • edible green grass or green fondant
Put the Oreos in a Ziploc baggie and roll with a rolling pin to crush.  Do not try to hammer them or bang on them or you will create holes in the bag which will then leave crumbles all over your counter top and not only does this leave a huge mess, but then you have less cookies to eat!  :)
 
Mix the pudding and milk together with beaters just like you would if you were making pudding.  I did mine in two separate bowls because I made part of the batch with Almond Milk so that Miss Priss could have some since she has a sensitive tummy and we try to stay away from milk and cheese.
Fold in the Cool Whip until well blended and then sprinkle about 2/3 of the crushed Oreos into the mixture and stir again until well blended.  There is the dirt for your carrot patch!  (Or any other veggies that you might want to plant in your dessert)
 
Pour into individual cups or containers and top with the remaining Oreo crumbles.  Since I did this for a group of one-year-old babies I only filled them about 1/3 of the way full and so I got 12 cups from this batch.
Looks yummy already and we still have some more sweets to add to it!  This is the point at which we will then add our carrots to the patch.  If you wanted to make a simple summer treat such as a Father's Day themed or boys birthday party you would add gummy worms to make 'Worm Dirt'.  This is the recipe that we see most often, but isn't really Easter themed.
This would be a great way to use up some left over icing if you have any from a previous project, but I did not and so I mixed some orange frosting for the carrot tops and put it into a decorating bag with a circle tip.  Any size circle will be okay depending on the size of your carrot, but you don't have to buy a new one just for this one project.
Pipe in a circle in the center of each treat container in order to create what looks like the top of a carrot.  If you make it and it doesn't look big enough or you have a lot of icing left over you can always go back and make it bigger.
 I was unable to find edible grass, which would be the easiest way to create the leafy part of the carrot and so I rolled out some green fondant and cut into small strips.  I cut three for each container and let them sit overnight.  I bought the already colored fondant and it doesn't seem to bleed onto the rest of your treat even after a few days, but I have had fondant do that before when I colored it myself so be aware of that possibility.  If possible, it would be best to put the fondant on right before serving or transporting your Easter treat.
 
Carrot Patch treats are ready to eat and oh so yummy!  Even though you are eating treats that are themed for the modern aspects of the holiday, don't forget what Easter is all about!  Have a blessed holiday!
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment