Monday, March 11, 2013

Chicken Tortilla Casserole

Time for dinner on a rainy day...what to make?  It is kind of a soup day, but I don't have (or know how to make) any good homemade soups.  My next favorite meal for a rainy day and really, for any day because they are so easy...is a casserole. 

I modeled this recipe from one that I found at Live Better America which is an excellent source for healthy meal ideas, but didn't like everything they used in theirs and so my version was born.  I have made this a few times in the past, but it has been a while since I made it and I randomly thought about it this week and have been waiting for today to make it! 

I do like Mexican food and so it should be no surprise that this is one of my favorite homemade casseroles.  I love it every time I make it and it never gets old!  We had a friend over for dinner and he enjoyed it as well as we did.  I got out some tortilla chips to add a little extra crunch to our plates.  I even used the casserole as dip a few times and it was amazing! 

If you want a quick and easy Mexican dish for your family...this is perfect for you!
Chicken Tortilla Casserole
Servings: 8  Calories: 200
  • 1 can 98% fat free cream of chicken soup
  • 1can (4.5 oz) chopped green chilies
  • 8 oz light sour cream
  • 1/2 cup skim milk
  • 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp ground cumin
  • 2 1/2 cups shredded chicken breast, cooked
  • 8 corn tortillas, torn into bite-size pieces
  • 1 can Rotel or diced tomatoes
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded Mexican or other favorite cheese blend
Preheat oven to 350°F.  Spray a 9 x 13" glass baking dish with cooking spray.
In a large bowl, mix together soup, green chilies, sour cream, milk, chili powder and cumin until well blended.
 
Add chicken and tortillas and mix well.  Stir in tomatoes and 1 cup of cheese.
Pour mixture into the baking dish and spread evenly.  Cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes.  Uncover and sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup cheese and cook for an additional 5-10 minutes uncovered until cheese is melted and begins to bubble.  Let sit for 5 minutes before serving.
Alternative Ideas:
  • If  you that like bell peppers, chop 1 medium green bell pepper to add to the mixture.
  • Use tortilla chips instead of corn tortillas for a slightly crunchier result.
  • Chop one large fresh tomato to use rather than canned tomatoes.
  • Replace cooked, shredded chicken with canned chicken for easier preparation.
 Click here for a printable version.

No comments:

Post a Comment