I modeled this recipe from one that I found at Live Better America which is an excellent source for healthy meal ideas, but didn't like everything they used in theirs and so my version was born. I have made this a few times in the past, but it has been a while since I made it and I randomly thought about it this week and have been waiting for today to make it!
I do like Mexican food and so it should be no surprise that this is one of my favorite homemade casseroles. I love it every time I make it and it never gets old! We had a friend over for dinner and he enjoyed it as well as we did. I got out some tortilla chips to add a little extra crunch to our plates. I even used the casserole as dip a few times and it was amazing!
If you want a quick and easy Mexican dish for your family...this is perfect for you!
Chicken Tortilla Casserole
Servings: 8 Calories: 200
- 1 can 98% fat free cream of chicken soup
- 1can (4.5 oz) chopped green chilies
- 8 oz light sour cream
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 1/2 cups shredded chicken breast, cooked
- 8 corn tortillas, torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 can Rotel or diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Mexican or other favorite cheese blend
Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9 x 13" glass baking dish with cooking spray.
In a large bowl, mix together soup, green chilies, sour cream, milk, chili powder and cumin until well blended.
Add chicken and tortillas and mix well. Stir in tomatoes and 1 cup of cheese.
Pour mixture into the baking dish and spread evenly. Cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup cheese and cook for an additional 5-10 minutes uncovered until cheese is melted and begins to bubble. Let sit for 5 minutes before serving.
- If you that like bell peppers, chop 1 medium green bell pepper to add to the mixture.
- Use tortilla chips instead of corn tortillas for a slightly crunchier result.
- Chop one large fresh tomato to use rather than canned tomatoes.
- Replace cooked, shredded chicken with canned chicken for easier preparation.