Saturday, November 3, 2012

Give Thanks {Fall Blocks}

Here we go...another block project!

I love fall, let me say that again, I LOVE FALL!  Ok, do you get it yet?  Well, I do love fall.  I love the mild weather, I love the colors...which is basically my home decor, I love pumpkins, I love pumpkin recipes the most, I love Halloween, I love thanksgivings...because I love to eat!  I love everything about fall!

Thanksgiving, there are so many things to be thankful for.  A lot of people start November 1st of every year writing out what they are thankful for via email, Twitter, Facebook or some other social media network.  I always attempt to do this and then life gets in the way...go figure!

So, I am going to take time right now to list a few things that I am thankful for to get caught up and maybe a little bit ahead on the month.  Here we go...
1.  My baby girl Conlea...I cannot express how thankful I am for my baby girl to be here to celebrate Thanksgiving with me...there was a time when I didn't think this day would ever come and now it less than a month away! 
2.  My husband...who puts up with me no matter what my mood is.
3.  My career...I have a job that I enjoy at a company that I like and I couldn't be in a better place right now.
2.  My family...I have the best family any one could ask for!
3.  My dog Cricket...I can always depend on her to cuddle with me when I need it most.

Now to the blocks...

You will need:
  • 2 x 4 wood strips cut in 4 different heights, I used a 4", a 6" and two 5" blocks
  • 1 x 1 wood strip cut 7" long, this will be on its side
  • scrapbook paper and letters or printed image from computer
  • sandpaper
  • black paint or spray paint
  • black ink pad and paper towel
  • Modpodge and brush (I like the foam ones for this!)
After you have cut your blocks and measured the face of each one, create letters for each block.  For this project I used scrapbook paper and cut out letters on my Cricut.

Paint your blocks...I prefer spray paint because it is easy.  If you want it to be dark black acrylic paint is the best, but I wanted the black to be lighter on this project.  Remember, it doesn't have to be perfect because you want it to have an antiqued look anyway, which you will achieve by using the sandpaper after the paint has dried. 

While your blocks are drying, ink the edges of your scrapbook paper using a paper towel dabbed in the black ink pad and rubbed along the edges.  This part also doesn't have to be perfect. 

Once your blocks are dried and your letters are ready, sand the edges of your blocks.  Paint Modpodge on the front of the block where you will put the scrapbook paper.  Rub from the center out to the edges to attach it to the block without any wrinkles or air bubbles.  If you didn't print your design on the computer and you have letters to attach also, paint on top of the paper and add your letters.  Once your letters are in place, add one more layer of Modpodge over the letters to seal them and give your blocks a more finished look.

That is it...done until next time.  You can also check out my other blocks here

~ Candace

No comments:

Post a Comment