Sunday, November 11, 2012

Gobble Til You Wobble {Fall Blocks}

OK, I am officially obsessed with making wooden blocks for every holiday coming up, event that is occurring, person in my family....you get the idea.  With turkey day coming up, I wanted to make something cute (and funny) to display for the next few weeks before my family and I take our first Thanksgiving trip together.

We usually spend the yummy holiday with family close to home and try to hit as many different houses as we can to get a taste of all the goodies.  My family makes the absolute best food in the world, especially Thanksgiving food!  This year though, my husband, baby girl and I are headed to Destin, Florida with my dad and grandma as well as my aunt, uncle and cousins.  We have talked about this trip for a few years now, but this year we did it!

So...since I will not be home this year for Thanksgiving Day, I wanted to go ahead and start celebrating by making this cute block set for my living room.

You will need:
  • 1 x 1 wood strip cut in 3 different lengths, I used 5", 6" and 7" long blocks
  • printed letters (or white paint and stencils)
  • sandpaper
  • 3 colors of paint for blocks
  • Modpodge and brush (I like the foam brushes for this!)
First you will cut your blocks and paint each block a different color.  I used yellow, orange and brown because they are fall colors, but reds would be pretty too.  As always, remember that it doesn't have to be perfect because you want it to have a distressed look in the end and you will sand them later anyway.  I also took a little brown paint on a paper towel and rubbed it along the front of my blocks to give it a 'dirty' look.
While your blocks are drying, prepare your letters by cutting them out on the Cricut or creating stencils.  For this project, I measured and cut letters from white card stock with my Cricut.

Once your blocks are dried and your letters are ready, sand the edges to make them look distressed.  You are then ready to add your lettering.  Paint modpodge onto the front of your block and apply the letters.  I then also like to add a layer of Modpodge across the top of all the letters to seal them on the block and give them a more finished look. If you prefer to use stencils or dont have a Cricut or other die cut machine, just paint your letters onto the front of your block instead. 
Once your blocks are all done and have dried completely, you can then add your ribbon.  I added a small amount of Modpodge between each of the blocks and pressed down on them for a second or two so that they would stay together while I tied on the ribbon around them and while they are being transported for display.  I wasn't sure about this, but it seemed to work well...

You are finished...Gobble 'til you Wobble!  =) 

Check out my other blocks here.

~ Candace

No comments:

Post a Comment