Monday, November 26, 2012

Family Name {Family Blocks}

Here is yet another set of wooden blocks that I made.  This time, instead of a holiday blocks I decided to make one for display all year long!  This was a last minute decision and I didn't have time to go and get new paper so I used some that I already had.  The colors are browns and beige's, but once I finished it, I thought it looked a little pinkish.  Oh well, I still like them and they are a great decoration for my living room that Miss Priss can't break when she gets them off the shelf! :)
You will need:
  • 2 x 4 wood strips cut in 2 different heights, I used a 5" and 6" blocks
  • 2 x 2 wood strip cut 6" long, this will be on its side
  • scrapbook paper and letters or printed image from computer
  • sandpaper
  • black paint or spray paint
  • black ink pad and paper towel
  • Modpodge and brush (I like the foam ones!)
*The two 6" blocks will lay on their side.  You can make them longer or shorter if you would like, depending on how long your name is and the size your font.  The 5" blocks needs to stay that size though so that it lines up with the other two blocks that will be laying on their side stacked.
Begin by cutting your blocks and measuring the face of each one for your background.  Once cut, paint your blocks...I prefer spray paint because it is easy.  As always, remember that it doesn't have to be perfect because most of it will be covered with paper and you want it to have an antiqued look anyway, which you will achieve by using the sandpaper after the paint has dried. 

While your blocks are drying, create a background and letters for each block.  For this project I used scrapbook paper and cut out letters on my Cricut.  Ink the edges of your scrapbook paper using a paper towel dabbed in the black ink pad and rubbed along the edges.  This part also doesn't have to be perfect. 

Once your blocks are dried and your letters are ready, sand the edges of your blocks.  Paint Modpodge on the front of the block where you will put the scrapbook paper and rub from the center out to the edges to attach it to the block without any wrinkles or air bubbles.  If you didn't print your design on the computer and you have letters to attach also, paint on top of the paper and add your letters.  Once your letters are in place, add one more layer of Modpodge over the letters to seal them and give your blocks a more finished look.

You can also check out my other blocks here

~ Candace

1 comment: